My Life is Boring Boring Boring zzzzzzzzz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Life is Boring Boring Boring zzzzzzzzz

OMG my life is boring boring boring!!!! Not sure why exactly. Yes - the girlfriend persists. Seems like all I do is work a ton of hours ... go to the gym ... maybe play tennis ... shop for groceries ... then repeat. I have zero time for a vacation in the near-term - work is too hectic. Boring boring boring. And yes - the relationship is "just fine" ... which means boring boring boring!!! ha ha Sometimes I think I am more fun being single ... solo ... because I have much more interesting things to talk about when I am roaming the streets like a mad dog. ha ha

My life needs an enema ... or maybe a midlife crisis ... I don't know ... help!!!! Suggestions???? Should I self-medicate???? Maybe start building a ship in a bottle??? WHAT????

Bwahahaha!! Be careful what you wish for!!! Self-medicating is stupid as is a midlife crisis. I think you kinda like the girlfriend otherwise we would all be hearing something different so here's a thought or two.

1) Go back to school. Learn something completely different. I'm halfway through a winemaking program and plan on sitting for the test next Winter. I've accepted an offer from a local winery to apprentice under a master (he's French and has one of those funny little mustaches). I'm actually catching on to this and the funny thing is, I don't hardly drink wine and still don't.
    2) Volunteer 4 hours per week in a completely scary program that focuses on youth. Step the hell way out of your comfort zone and be an assistant coach at a non-profit boxing gym for inner city youth.
    3) Sell everything, sell your house or condo, buy an RV, and fly fish your way across the United States of America. Take a whole summer off and do the Eat.Love.Pray thing and settle in Southeast Georgia somewhere and begin again. What are you afraid of? Learn how to be a river guide in Montana, Let your hair grow and get some tattoos.
    4) If you're not saddled with crippling consumer debt, then quit working so hard. You can't take it with you. Cut back hours or quit. The only currency of value that any man really has is time. The rest is all dust. Work is stupid too....I did it all my life and now wish I had done other things.

You notice that my comments are all about you? Can't offer anything about the GF because she has a completely different perspective.

In all seriousness, asking the question is the first step to recovery. You have at your fingertips, access to more things than people even knew existed two decades ago. Use 'em to un-stick yourself. Go be a code monkey in Puerto Rico. I would recommend Ponce and not San Juan. Going back to what you've done before is like rooting through your garbage can.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks Lawnguy!

I would love to go back to school or volunteer more but I actually work too much right now to do either. I have to make it now while I can ... but later on, I REALLY like your idea about selling it all, and then vacating. I have often dreamed of living or retiring somewhere where I can live a more simple life ... like Mexico ... with a bunch of young senoritas running around mi casa ... where the only decision I need to make is "how strong shall I make my margarita today?". ha ha

So what you advice is definitely on my roadmap - wish I could do it all today!

Comment

Mine is boring-boring-boring too, just ended about a two-month-long relationship with a chick an hour away. Nothing was really "wrong", beyond the shallow appraisal that while five years younger, she looked five years older. So back to work/sleep/work/sleep/work... mode again. I'm close to pulling the trigger on relocating to the mid-west which will be a YUGE shake-up, and also planning a trip to bang a chick I've been chatting with in Oregon for a weekend, hopping back to visit my kids during their spring break in their new location (northern mid-west) before heading back home (possibly to start packing). So while the next two weeks will be boring-boring-boring, a short trip out west to see my kids (11, 13, 14, 16) and a relocation/change of scenery is on the near horizon.

Comment

Maybe Greg could consider a trip to Oregon. Bring the Lovely Latina if you like. Life is NOT boring here - a little isolated sometimes, but certainly rarely boring. City pleasures in Portland. I recommend the City Grill for the view and the calamari, the Oregon Museum of Science (OMSI) for the fascination, and Powell's Bookstore (takes up 2 city blocks) for the best selection of books and bobble-head figures in the country. Rural joy in my neck of the woods (Southern Oregon). In summer we have hiking, river rafting, jet boats, outdoor music (see Britt Festival), wineries, and much more (yeah ok, in the winter we isolate and stress ... working on that part ... don't come in winter.) The Oregon coast is spectacular, the high desert sublime.

But most importantly than that ... bro;, the answer is to plug in. Do something MEANINGFUL. I had a wonderful volunteer counselor once through Catholic Charities. I am not Catholic, and I don't know if she was either, but she was a volunteer at a time when I was going through the process of my husband checking out through alcohol and drug abuse, and I needed to talk to someone about it. She made a huge difference by giving me guidance about how to think about what was going on at a time when I desperately needed help and could not afford to pay cash for it, Do something like that. Be that guy. To whom much is given, much is expected. You are in the perfect position to make that kind of difference in someone's life.

Counsel battered spouses. Counsel troubled youth. Counsel whoever walks in the door with whatever the world has handed them. Give one afternoon a week somewhere and watch it change your life ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefeather View Post

But most importantly than that ... bro;, the answer is to plug in. Do something MEANINGFUL. I had a wonderful volunteer counselor once through Catholic Charities. I am not Catholic, and I don't know if she was either, but she was a volunteer at a time when I was going through the process of my husband checking out through alcohol and drug abuse, and I needed to talk to someone about it. She made a huge difference by giving me guidance about how to think about what was going on at a time when I desperately needed help and could not afford to pay cash for it, Do something like that. Be that guy. To whom much is given, much is expected. You are in the perfect position to make that kind of difference in someone's life.

Counsel battered spouses. Counsel troubled youth. Counsel whoever walks in the door with whatever the world has handed them. Give one afternoon a week somewhere and watch it change your life ...
            Not sure if I have mentioned this previously, but I currently do a TON of volunteer work ... like around 30 hours each month. I don't work in a soup kitchen - I do something fairly high-level ... which involves a lot of public speaking. I have to be abstract because if I am specific then it would give away my identity. So I am already most definitely plugged in to "giving back" to the world.

I think my issue is more that I am super-busy between work and this abstract volunteer work that I do ... add in the girlfriend ... the exercise ... and repeat. It is a big circle. The dog who always chases his tale. Nothing changes. It is recursive - if you know what that means. I think I just need some extended down time - which won't happen anytime soon.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't mean to discount them - just trying to clarify my situation. I think I'm really on the cusp of yet another midlife crisis. The last several have been pretty fun so maybe this one will be, too.

Comment

Working...
            X