Reasons He Is Not Having Sex with You

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons He Is Not Having Sex with You

Anyone else have some input for this woman - who wrote in to me on ASK MIDLIFE BACHELOR?
    I am trying to decide if my long-term boyfriend is impotent, gay or bi, or has some psychological problems. Here is what is going on - please tell me what you think.

I never dated casually, and met my current boyfriend at university ten years ago. He was bright and seemed to really love me so I grew to love him. We were still studying and working hard to be good at our professions therefore we are in a long distance relationship as his work ties him to one city, mine ties me to another three hours away. Even at the very beginning of our relationship he barely ever initiated sex, didn't like kissing or cuddling or holding hands. He only did and does such if others are around, except for his family.

When we are intimate, which does not happen often, he sometimes kisses me but that always leaves me with a rash for several days as he refuses to shave saying it hurts his skin. He does not like and do foreplay and always wants me to be on top saying missionary is tiring for him. He never had a strong sex-drive, even at the very beginning but in the last few years he got hard enough to penetrate only once and at that time he was extremely rough. It hurt so much I cried and had cramps for days afterwards but on the other hand I was happy we were finally having sex after some years.

However, every single morning he masturbates in the bathroom. He also does it sometimes when we are in bed together to 'make me happy' and to prove that all is fine with his abilities. He also tells me that he had no problem having sex with his previous girlfriends, and it is only me and my high sex-drive which make it appear he is not performing. It's not that I am pestering him or force myself upon him and never did I bring up his half-erection but rather tried to go along and get him hard.

He does not have outright gayish tendencies but recently has started investing into some really expensive clothing items and nice shoes (not flashy or tacky, though). He says he detests gays and I don't know of him having any gay friends but also I am not with him most of the time.

As for other women, he does have a bright married female friend whom he adores and he often compares the two of us.

He did want to propose but I suggested he wait because I am not sure if he finds me disgusting, or is bored with me, or is in love with someone else or impotent or gay. What do you think? I would be grateful for any insight you have. I am not sure if I am just exaggerating things or these are possible signs of a bigger problem. Whenever I tried to discuss it with him he says I make it up to be a big problem and then changes the subject.

I love him and I enjoy being with him but I always feel 'when should I have sex and children if not now?' But what if he can't and/or doesn't want to work on it as he says he is happy like this?

I only had a few boyfriends before him, and making love wasn't an issue - I enjoyed giving and receiving and they did too. So I am now getting more and more confused. Any insight you have, I would be grateful for it. Thank you for your help in advance.

Here is my answer to the above ...

First of all, I don't see anything to remotely suggest that he is gay or bi or anything like that (unless you left out some important data points). Based on similar stories I have heard elsewhere, my guess is that he:

1) Has low testosterone.
    2) Is simply not that physically attracted to you.
    3) Has some kind of mental health issue from his past that makes him averse to having sex.
    4) Some combination of 1), 2), and/or 3).

His doctor can do a simple blood test to see if his testosterone levels are within the normal range ... and if they are not, then there are testosterone gels that he can use that will bring his hormones (and his sex drive) back up to where it needs to be.

If he is not that attracted to you, then he may be cheating on you with someone else - or not. From everything you said, it sounds like he just might not be very physically attracted to you ... but he stays with you because he really likes you as a person. If he is having sex with someone else, then for sure he is just not that attracted to you. You can ask him how attracted he is to you, and see how he responds.

You also might ask him if there is anything in his past (particularly his childhood or adolescence) that involves anything sexual that would influence his thoughts or behaviors today. You might be surprised what you learn - if he is honest. If he simply gets mad, and won't respond - then there is a big issue hidden in his past.

Could also be a combo of one or more of the aforementioned. Really you need to talk to him, and get him to open up to you for the benefit of both of you. If he won't or doesn't then you may simply need to think about leaving him - as life is too short to continue to live this way.

Anyone else have some different or additional input for this woman?

Comment

A woman always gets confused when a man withholds sex from her, and she thinks "what is going on here?": How old are you two? Besides the possible reasons that OP (original poster) and gregory listed for doing this, there is for sure the possibility that this man has the tendency to be gay or bi-sexual or at least bi-curious, but is hiding it. Are you, OP, doing the chasing and pursuing, being the aggressive one whereas he is the passive one? Do you feel that the gender roles are reversed? Something else: Some men withhold sex as manipulation and even punishment to have the power in the relationship. Sex is very important in a relationship and if he behaves now like this it will get worse when you two are married. Honestly, I would dump him.

Comment

I cannot find the button for posting a new topic, so I post it here: << moved by admin to a new post - see it here >>

Comment

Originally posted by curious cappi View Post
          I cannot find the button for posting a new topic, so I post it here: ...
          In order for the New Topic button to be visible, you have to be at the forum level (as opposed to being inside a post - like you are right now). So to post a new topic into this forum, you would go to this URL: http://www.midlifebachelor.com/forum...e-dating-forum

Next you would need to be sure to be logged in.

And then hit the New Topic button, as shown below. I will take your comments above, and make them into a new post for you cappidemo.jpg

Comment

A woman always gets confused when a man withholds sex from her, and she thinks "what is going on here?": How old are you two? Besides the possible reasons that OP (original poster) and gregory listed for doing this, there is for sure the possibility that this man has the tendency to be gay or bi-sexual or at least bi-curious, but is hiding it. Are you, OP, doing the chasing and pursuing, being the aggressive one whereas he is the passive one? Do you feel that the gender roles are reversed? Something else: Some men withhold sex as manipulation and even punishment to have the power in the relationship. Sex is very important in a relationship and if he behaves now like this it will get worse when you two are married. Honestly, I would dump him.
            Well I, personally, would never withhold sex from anyone. Just saying!!! If that is a weapon we men use, then I would have to come up with a different weapon - like just yelling or something. ha ha

Comment

Greg, you might not know men who are into this, withholding sex from a woman to not lose
              the power over her, like women use sex as bargaining chip. This is, for sure, a very risky MO,
              and certain men apply this strategy only towards women they are sure these women have
              fallen for them. If not, a woman will just kick him to the curb.

I admitted on tnis forum before that I believe in astrology, I am not very savvy about it, it is
              downright a science, but I definitely believe in the basic characteristics of the different zodiac
              signs, the good and the bad traits. And people who share the same sign have remarkable
              similarities, this is my experience. Also the compaitibility between the different signs is
              amazing, so on the spot.

According to my experience Scorpio men are very manipulative and afraid of losing the power
              in a relationship, playing all kinds of tricks, switching form extremely hot to ice cold at the
              drop of the hat, etc..... very interesting, fascinating, never boring, but also exhausting zodiac
              sign.

Comment

Greg, you might not know men who are into this, withholding sex from a woman to not lose
                the power over her, like women use sex as bargaining chip. This is, for sure, a very risky MO,
                and certain men apply this strategy only towards women they are sure these women have
                fallen for them. If not, a woman will just kick him to the curb.

I admitted on tnis forum before that I believe in astrology, I am not very savvy about it, it is
                downright a science, but I definitely believe in the basic characteristics of the different zodiac
                signs, the good and the bad traits. And people who share the same sign have remarkable
                similarities, this is my experience. Also the compaitibility between the different signs is
                amazing, so on the spot.

According to my experience Scorpio men are very manipulative and afraid of losing the power
                in a relationship, playing all kinds of tricks, switching form extremely hot to ice cold at the
                drop of the hat, etc..... very interesting, fascinating, never boring, but also exhausting zodiac
                sign.

So you are saying that the original poster and her boyfriend may not be compatible from an astrological standpoint? If that is true then how did they align to begin with? Maybe it was an accident? [I always said that Arnold Schwarzenegger was having sex with his large housekeeper by accident ... same thing as a car accident. Same could be true here, I suppose.]

I know I have had more than one such accident in my past - where I wound up sleeping with a woman who was completely incompatible with me in so many ways. This was typically discovered later - when she talked. ha ha

Comment

Your boyfriend has many of the classic signs of the dismissive avoidant attachment style. Essentially attachment theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_adults) attempts to explain attachment styles in adults. I too am a classic dismissive avoidant (at least in romantic relationships). Essentially dismissive avoidants are going to be less comfortable with intimacy both emotional and physical (hence little sex with you but lots of masturbation which shows his sex drive is intact). There is a book called Attached that delves deeply into Attachment Theory for lay persons. While I think some of the literature on dismissive avoidants is more negative than it needs to be (I think the psychological community tends to want to make outlier conditions as disorders when often times they are just differences) some avoidants can have real issues, others are fine being the way they are. About 25% of adults have the dismissive avoidant style (men are more likely to be avoidants).

The bad news for you unless he sees this and wants to change he isn't going to change and even if he wants to change it will be a long road ahead. In fact he may be perfectly happy the way he is. I suggest you read up on attachment theory and then broach the subject with him. Also I am not saying you have the anxious attachment style but read up on the anxious/avoidant trap because those two attachment styles tend to attract one another and they are horrible for each other because they bring out the worst in each other. My ex-wife has the anxious attachment style and the anxious/avoidant trap explains most of the problems in our marriage. We also pushed each other further away from the secure attachment style over time with her becoming more anxious and me becoming more avoidant.

Honestly I hate to say this, but given the history you report and the long distance relationship, I think you would be best off moving on sooner rather than later. Don't waste your youth on somebody who cannot meet your needs.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by secstate; 06-10-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post

So you are saying that the original poster and her boyfriend may not be compatible from an astrological standpoint? If that is true then how did they align to begin with? Maybe it was an accident? [I always said that Arnold Schwarzenegger was having sex with his large housekeeper by accident ... same thing as a car accident. Same could be true here, I suppose.]

I know I have had more than one such accident in my past - where I wound up sleeping with a woman who was completely incompatible with me in so many ways. This was typically discovered later - when she talked. ha ha
                    Not only and always.
                    What I write in the second paragraph is only an example for what i write in the first paragraph.
                    It's more of a mistake than an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by secstate View Post
                      Your boyfriend has many of the classic signs of the dismissive avoidant attachment style. Essentially attachment theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_adults) attempts to explain attachment styles in adults. I too am a classic dismissive avoidant (at least in romantic relationships). Essentially dismissive avoidants are going to be less comfortable with intimacy both emotional and physical (hence little sex with you but lots of masturbation which shows his sex drive is intact). There is a book called Attached that delves deeply into Attachment Theory for lay persons. While I think some of the literature on dismissive avoidants is more negative than it needs to be (I think the psychological community tends to want to make outlier conditions as disorders when often times they are just differences) some avoidants can have real issues, others are fine being the way they are. About 25% of adults have the dismissive avoidant style (men are more likely to be avoidants).

The bad news for you unless he sees this and wants to change he isn't going to change and even if he wants to change it will be a long road ahead. In fact he may be perfectly happy the way he is. I suggest you read up on attachment theory and then broach the subject with him. Also I am not saying you have the anxious attachment style but read up on the anxious/avoidant trap because those two attachment styles tend to attract one another and they are horrible for each other because they bring out the worst in each other. My ex-wife has the anxious attachment style and the anxious/avoidant trap explains most of the problems in our marriage. We also pushed each other further away from the secure attachment style over time with her becoming more anxious and me becoming more avoidant.

Honestly I hate to say this, but given the history you report and the long distance relationship, I think you would be best off moving on sooner rather than later. Don't waste your youth on somebody who cannot meet your needs.

Good luck.
                      I totally agree with this "dismissive avoidant attachment: theory. People, especially men, who are afraid that too much intimacy will make them too attached to their partner and who always strive to keep a certain distance, so that a sudden abandonment will not hurt them too much. Those are the ones who feel very deeply.

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post
                        Anyone else have some input for this woman - who wrote in to me on ASK MIDLIFE BACHELOR?
                        I am trying to decide if my long-term boyfriend is impotent, gay or bi, or has some psychological problems. Here is what is going on - please tell me what you think.

I never dated casually, and met my current boyfriend at university ten years ago. He was bright and seemed to really love me so I grew to love him. We were still studying and working hard to be good at our professions therefore we are in a long distance relationship as his work ties him to one city, mine ties me to another three hours away. Even at the very beginning of our relationship he barely ever initiated sex, didn't like kissing or cuddling or holding hands. He only did and does such if others are around, except for his family.

When we are intimate, which does not happen often, he sometimes kisses me but that always leaves me with a rash for several days as he refuses to shave saying it hurts his skin. He does not like and do foreplay and always wants me to be on top saying missionary is tiring for him. He never had a strong sex-drive, even at the very beginning but in the last few years he got hard enough to penetrate only once and at that time he was extremely rough. It hurt so much I cried and had cramps for days afterwards but on the other hand I was happy we were finally having sex after some years.

However, every single morning he masturbates in the bathroom. He also does it sometimes when we are in bed together to 'make me happy' and to prove that all is fine with his abilities. He also tells me that he had no problem having sex with his previous girlfriends, and it is only me and my high sex-drive which make it appear he is not performing. It's not that I am pestering him or force myself upon him and never did I bring up his half-erection but rather tried to go along and get him hard.

He does not have outright gayish tendencies but recently has started investing into some really expensive clothing items and nice shoes (not flashy or tacky, though). He says he detests gays and I don't know of him having any gay friends but also I am not with him most of the time.

As for other women, he does have a bright married female friend whom he adores and he often compares the two of us.

He did want to propose but I suggested he wait because I am not sure if he finds me disgusting, or is bored with me, or is in love with someone else or impotent or gay. What do you think? I would be grateful for any insight you have. I am not sure if I am just exaggerating things or these are possible signs of a bigger problem. Whenever I tried to discuss it with him he says I make it up to be a big problem and then changes the subject.

I love him and I enjoy being with him but I always feel 'when should I have sex and children if not now?' But what if he can't and/or doesn't want to work on it as he says he is happy like this?

I only had a few boyfriends before him, and making love wasn't an issue - I enjoyed giving and receiving and they did too. So I am now getting more and more confused. Any insight you have, I would be grateful for it. Thank you for your help in advance.
                        This "As for other women, he does have a bright married female friend whom he adores and he often compares the two of us." is, considering all the other points you bring up in your post, a (bit of) red flag to me.

Comment

This "As for other women, he does have a bright married female friend whom he adores and he often compares the two of us." is, considering all the other points you bring up in your post, a (bit of) red flag to me.
                          "Bit of" a red flag? HUGE red flag, particularly in combination with the other issues. Dump him.

Comment

Originally posted by Realist View Post

"Bit of" a red flag? HUGE red flag, particularly in combination with the other issues. Dump him.
                            Yes, Realist, I agree it is a huge red flag!
                            Very good job and excellent analyses by you,Realist, and I could not agree more........

Comment

Working...
                            X