HomeNewsMidlife Dating AdviceShort Midlife ArticlesAsk Midlife BachelorYour Midlife CrisisMidlife Health ChallengesMidlife Bachelor PollsMidlife Bachelor Discussion ForumsContact Midlife Bachelor
Woman of the Month

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default How to recognize a misogynist

According to the website (URL below), a misogynist has a hatred, dislike or distrust of women. I'm posting this because:
    1. Vienna put up a post about dating "men who are dogs" - looking for these characteristics may help you avoid one of them.
    2. I see more misogynistic comments in this Forum than before and hope this post will provide some food for thought.

The website also has a section talking about the causes of this problem.

How To Recognize the Symptoms
    • Thinks his masculinity depends on dominating women.
    • Controls women by destroying their self-confidence
    • Needs to insure that women are always less powerful than he
    • Intimidates women by constantly finding fault with them
    • Humiliates women in public and devalues their opinions
    • Must ALWAYS win in a discussion with or about women – all encounters with or about women are seen as a battle to be won
    • Blames women for failings that are in no way related to them
    • Blame women for his own failings and shortcomings (or the failings and shortcomings of other men)
    • Denies women’s feelings and makes them wrong for feeling them
    • Makes jokes or derogatory comments about women and then ridicules any woman who gets offended or upset
    • Belittles or ignores women’s accomplishments
    • Wants to punish any woman who displeases him
    • Has no remorse or guilt for the pain he causes women
    • Tries to keep women from doing things they are qualified to do
    • Selectively quotes authorities to substantiate his views and positions on women
    • Will confuse issues by changing the subject, denial, word jugglery, lying, twisting the facts or acting as if nothing happened (when you both know that it did)
    • A knight in shining armor – zeroes in on a woman to “save”
    • Extremely possessive, wants all of your time and undivided attention
    • Obsessively jealous, even of your women friend. Wants you to account for any time spent away from him
    • Is preoccupied with sex and is sexually controlling
    • Has grandiose behavior; cocky and self centered
    • Has first class spending habits; always wanting more.
    • Can’t stand criticism; always on the defense
    • He has problems with authority figures in general and women in authority in particular.
    • Is nasty behind the wheel and feels that other drivers’ mistakes are directed toward him personally
    • Has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - Nice to you in public, but cuts you down in private
    • Always the victim; takes no responsibility; blames others/things/circumstances for his behavior
    • Overly sensitive and sulking when he does not get his way
    • Steals, uses people, always borrowing but never pays back
    • Give gifts then demands favors
    • Professes religious beliefs then attacks your religious beliefs

http://health.wikinut.com/The-Twiste...nist/t87p4922/

liveslow Guest

lol based on this, none of you should date my dad :P

Vienna is offline Top Female Midlifebachelor.com Contributor & Goddess

Maria -

Thank you for posting this. You really are great at communicating these thoughts.

I have to admit that Sam is starting to feel like a fundamentalist preacher and this forum is his pulpit.

There is a some truth to what he says. However 80% truth and 20% cynicism is not truth. It is manipulation and a desire to control.

No more Kool-Aid for me - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liveslow View Post
    lol based on this, none of you should date my dad :P
    Well, that is a really, really long list! Does he do 1 or 2 of those things or does he cover the whole list?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    Maria -

Thank you for posting this. You really are great at communicating these thoughts.

I have to admit that Sam is starting to feel like a fundamentalist preacher and this forum is his pulpit.

There is a some truth to what he says. However 80% truth and 20% cynicism is not truth. It is manipulation and a desire to control.

Hi Vienna,

I'm glad that you like the list. Thanks for your support.

It really does give some food for thought.

Food for thought, most definitely! Those are some very nasty behaviours.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    According to the website (URL below), a misogynist has a hatred, dislike or distrust of women. I'm posting this because:
    1. Vienna put up a post about dating "men who are dogs" - looking for these characteristics may help you avoid one of them.
    2. I see more misogynistic comments in this Forum than before and hope this post will provide some food for thought.

The website also has a section talking about the causes of this problem.

How To Recognize the Symptoms
    • Thinks his masculinity depends on dominating women.
    • Controls women by destroying their self-confidence
    • Needs to insure that women are always less powerful than he
    • Intimidates women by constantly finding fault with them
    • Humiliates women in public and devalues their opinions
    • Must ALWAYS win in a discussion with or about women – all encounters with or about women are seen as a battle to be won
    • Blames women for failings that are in no way related to them
    • Blame women for his own failings and shortcomings (or the failings and shortcomings of other men)
    • Denies women’s feelings and makes them wrong for feeling them
    • Makes jokes or derogatory comments about women and then ridicules any woman who gets offended or upset
    • Belittles or ignores women’s accomplishments
    • Wants to punish any woman who displeases him
    • Has no remorse or guilt for the pain he causes women
    • Tries to keep women from doing things they are qualified to do
    • Selectively quotes authorities to substantiate his views and positions on women
    • Will confuse issues by changing the subject, denial, word jugglery, lying, twisting the facts or acting as if nothing happened (when you both know that it did)
    • A knight in shining armor – zeroes in on a woman to “save”
    • Extremely possessive, wants all of your time and undivided attention
    • Obsessively jealous, even of your women friend. Wants you to account for any time spent away from him
    • Is preoccupied with sex and is sexually controlling
    • Has grandiose behavior; cocky and self centered
    • Has first class spending habits; always wanting more.
    • Can’t stand criticism; always on the defense
    • He has problems with authority figures in general and women in authority in particular.
    • Is nasty behind the wheel and feels that other drivers’ mistakes are directed toward him personally
    • Has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - Nice to you in public, but cuts you down in private
    • Always the victim; takes no responsibility; blames others/things/circumstances for his behavior
    • Overly sensitive and sulking when he does not get his way
    • Steals, uses people, always borrowing but never pays back
    • Give gifts then demands favors
    • Professes religious beliefs then attacks your religious beliefs

http://health.wikinut.com/The-Twiste...nist/t87p4922/
    great post...although many of those traits are possesed by normal healthy males, and some women will get confused about what a misogynist is, forgetting about their contribution to some of those behaviours....overall, great post from the basic psych 101 files....you failed to include the entire article though...seems that the root cause of misogyny has not been pinpointed, though theories point to upbringing, religious views or our patriarchal society in general. Perhaps these men grew up in dysfunctional families where they had a poor relationship with their mothers...as I mentioned numerous times, I love women....I personally think a lot of it stems from our culture, the music available to young males ( gansta rap etc) which paint women in a horrible light,as objects to be conquered or possessed and tossed away when done)...its bad enough that teenage males hormones are raging, add to that the horrible lyrics ( I wonder if they try to out-do each ohter sometimes to see who can be the most vile against women)...so there are a lot of outside factors that contribute to this mindset...to be considered also is the following..this mindset starts at a young age..a young male in its formative years contact with a female, usually the mother, or anohter female authority figure..misogynists are made
    Last edited by SamtheDog; 01-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    Maria -

Right...focus on the 20 % cynicism....its easier that way than to acknowledge the 80 % truth

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
    Food for thought, most definitely! Those are some very nasty behaviours.
    Hi, Isabelle! That's right! Have you known anyone like this?

I actually know a few guys that are like that..terrible way to be and live...Just dont confuse Misogyny with Sexism....some cant distinguish between the 2
    Last edited by SamtheDog; 01-05-2012 at 10:49 AM.